- milk, ground beef, and amazing fresh cream from a local co-op.
- I buy cheese from Trader Joe's and my husband brings some home on the weekends after selling it at local Farmers' Markets. (Sorry, ALDI, your cheese is absolutely flavorless.)
- For some reason I'm not too picky on chicken. Maybe because I didn't notice an incredible taste difference over conventional when I tried the organic variety.
- If we got steak ever, it would be from Trader Joe's and organic (you can't beat the fresh, alive flavor).
- Veggies come from Windy City Produce Mart or Andy's Fruit Ranch (and so does some chicken) -- both local produce marts.
- Canned goods that are not overly processed (like single-ingredient items) come from ALDI (as do a surprising number of miscellaneous household goods -- we are buying an air conditioner and digital camera there tonight).
- Eggs no longer come from ALDI. I got some Rose Acre Farms brand from Windy City one day and realized how much healthier the shells looked. They were thoroughly opaque instead of sort of mottled opaque and translucent. Husband came home with some 18-in-a-pack from Dominicks that unfortunately looked very similar to ALDI's.