Monday, February 25, 2008

Giving Up Organic? I Really Don't Want to, But....

I've gone totally organic (very briefly).  I've gone partially organic occasionally.  I've gone selected organic.  I've gone organic with animal products but not veggies.  And now, on my limited budget, I am slipping back into my frugal roots: my excitement at (and the necessity of) sticking to my budget, that "amazing buy" thinking, is winning over my desire to "go organic."

But I still have the desire to buy good food that is less-tainted by pesticides and added hormones.  I like the idea of cows eating grass out in pastures instead of being confined to a stall and eating "feed"and chickens pecking in a field instead of existing in a small cage.  And I don't want to think about "mechanically separated" meat (you can do a search on that one).

But this on last trip, I bought ALDI butter.  On the trip before that I bought smoked sausage containing both nitrates and nitrites.  Oh, and of course, two of our meals in the past two weeks mainly consisted of ALDI's frozen pizza.

I'd like to continue to buy organic butter, especially since toxins are stored in the fat of an animal's body.  I'd prefer to buy organic meat, especially red meat since I can detect a huge difference in taste.  Cage-free, Vegetarian-fed eggs would be ideal.  But again, these things, I cannot always afford.

I'm still buying my raw milk since it is a totally different food than its pasteurized counterpart.  But other than that, I'm going to focus on buying food that's not full of chemicals, that's made from unrefined flours and sugars (when possible).  I'm going to base most of these decisions on how I feel after eating these foods and on taste.  I'd also like to continue to do some actual research in this department.  I wonder what place organic foods will have on our table in the coming months....

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Dude, I'm totally with you! I love buying all organic when I can afford it, and I try to buy at least my meat and other animal proucts organic--but a bag of cheap frozen chicken breasts always lures me. One thing I've found is that buying whole birds can cut down the cost of organic chickens--and plus then you have the stuff you dont use left over to make soup. But, thats not as easy with red meat!
Here's what I want--someday when I have room for it, I want to invest in a big freezer that i can keep tons of meat it. then i can buy organic meat in bulk and it will cost a lot less per pound!

Matt said...

I've talked with a friend who is into sustainable agriculture and there is a problem in that there is something of a cabal with the USDA and the people who certify things organic.

Her advice is to focus on local products from independent producers because its likely they are just as likely to use organic methods but aren't going to pay for the bureaucracy of getting certified. Keep reading labels.