Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Hillbilly Housewife

My Mother sent me a link to a great resource: Hillbilly Housewife. This site has the best and easiest Whole Wheat Bread recipe for a bread machine that I've ever come across. I baked a perfectly shaped and textured loaf on the very first try without even remembering to monitor the dough ball during the kneading process. I've also tried "Fred's Favorite Rolls" -- we ate nearly the entire recipe in one sitting.

Fresh bread at a meal is so satisfying: it allows a meal to be comprised of fewer and cheaper dishes while still giving the diners enough satisfaction with the meal to not feel like snacking later or to feel like they have been deprived because you are sticking to a budget. Since most of us buy (or grew up on) store-bought bread, it feels like a real treat to have freshly baked bread, even if it comes out of a machine -- and this is something that can save so much money for the things on which you do not want to compromise by buying something of lesser quality. To me, it's a must if you are going the healthy thrifty route.

No comments: