Thursday, March 27, 2008

Eggs

Eggs are one of the best buys for your budget and your body. When I am pregnant I follow (as closely as possible) the Brewer Pregnancy Diet. For daily protein requirements, they recommend four 8-oz glasses of milk, six 1-oz servings of meat or other protein, and two eggs. Each serving is interchangeable protein-wise. So, if you're short on cash for meat this week, try making a meal with eggs as the main protein source instead of a meat dish. The January 2007 issue of RealSimple magazine had a great collection of egg recipes that helped me begin to branch out and serve eggs other than for breakfast. Here are two of my favorites:
For more recipes like these, type "eggs" into the search field under "Kitchen Assistant," and start experimenting!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Eggs are like the most miraculous ingredient ever. Is there anything they can't do? It must be really hard for vegans (or those fasting in a basically vegan way) to cook without them!

Kh. Patty said...

Indeed. I have relented and have been using one egg in my muffins since I'm not going to go to a fourth store to get "egg replacer"; however, if I find an easy substitute (I have heard that ground flax seed mixed with water works well) I'll try it.

What gets me from the thrifty standpoint, though is the amount of protein for the price! If I buy a dozen eggs at ALDI, lately, I pay 1.46 for 12 6-oz servings of protein, or roughly the protein equivalent of 12 1-oz servings of meat! (Still wishing I could afford at least cage-free, but it's just not happening right now.)